A week ago today, freshman soccer player Zack Pensak had a horrible skiing accident.
For several days, he was in an induced coma. Finally, from a Vermont hospital, the news was good. Zack woke up, recognized his parents, asked about his dog, and has made it out of bed a few times on his own.
The Staples, Bedford and soccer communities — and many others in Westport — rallied to help the Pensaks. E-mails flew from group to group; cell phones buzzed.
Now there’s an easier way to communicate and offer assistance: the Zack Pensak Blog.
Karen Swanson created the site as a 1-stop site for information. Click here to:
- Learn about Zack’s progress
- Offer transportation, meal and other help to Zack’s grandmother and brother, who are here in Westport
- Provide meals for the Pensaks, once Zack moves closer to Westport for rehabilitation and therapy
- Post messages for Zack and the Pensak family
- Help with dog-walking
- Find an address for cards for Zack
- Donate money via PayPal.
A subscription feature will send an email whenever Steve and Eve — Zack’s parents — post an update on his condition.
The latest information is this:
Zack is young and healthy, and his doctors expect a great recovery. Because of the complexity of the brain, Zack’s treatment and recovery plan is fluid and not fully predictable. Support from family and friends is an important part of the process. The best approach for those who want to support Zack is to be hopeful, and take his progress and plans day by day.