Kris Hrisovulos ’00 — a former soccer and tennis star at Staples — is the latest former Wrecker to join his alma mater’s coaching staff. He’ll head up the boys tennis team this spring, succeeding social studies coach Brian Scott who resigned for health reasons.
Kris has been a full-time coach at Stamford Indoor Tennis, after serving at Norwalk Fitness Club as assistant director and junior coordinator. He played in college at Niagara University, and graduated with a BA in business and sports management.
At Staples Kris was a 3-team state doubles champion.
“First year is going to be tough,” Kris told Inklings. “But if (the players) can trust me, I think it will be good. Also, being around kids before and being around a championship environment in Staples will definitely make the 1st year easier.”
The Staples athletic department includes a number of graduates who have returned to their alma mater to coach. In addition to boys soccer head coach Dan Woog, junior varsity coach Ross McGibney and Chris O’Dell, the list includes:
- Bruce Betts (boys volleyball)
- Karen DeFelice (girls basketball assistant)
- Mac DeVito (football assistant)
- Laddie Lawrence (boys cross country, boys indoor track, boys outdoor track)
- Kevin Lippert (wrestling)
- Paul McNulty (lacrosse)
- Tom Owen (girls skiing, boys golf)
- Dale Wehmhoff (boys ice hockey assistant)