Brian Sullivan ’82 Is Okay After Tragic House Fire

His beautiful Newtown home burned to the ground Sunday morning — but Brian Sullivan ’82 wants the Staples soccer community to know that he and his family are alive, and will do fine.

Brian Sullivan

A pre-dawn explosion awakened Brian.  Rushing downstairs, he found the garage fully engulfed in flames.  The fire — which knocked out the alarm system — is believed to have been started by an electrical short, from a golf cart that was being charged.

Brian roused his wife Annette, and 2 daughters.  A daughter grabbed her cell phone, and called 911.

Brian returned to the house — which was fully totally ablaze — to lead his friend Bruce Kinnaman ’82 to safety.  Brian also saved 4 dogs.

Though firefighters responded instantly, the nearest hydrant was 2 miles away.  Tankers had to be brought in.  The house burned down, leaving only chimneys and the foundation standing.  All possessions were lost.

None of the 30 horses at nearby Zoar Ridge Stables — owned by Annette — were harmed.

“We have no home, but everyone is safe,” Brian said this morning.

“That’s all I care about.  The stuff, the clothes, the house — we’ll rebuild.”

Brian asked StaplesSoccer.com to pass along this message:  “I appreciate what everyone is doing, especially the Staples soccer community.  I’ve gotten hundreds of emails and calls.  I can’t answer everyone.  But I want people to know that we really care about your thoughts and consideration.”

To keep Brian from being overwhelmed, messages can be sent via Dan Donovan:  dan.donovaneight@gmail.com; 203-394-7519.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s